THE SIMPLICITY OF CHRIST
September 19, 2010
II Corinthians 11:1-3 In between Paul's many reproofs to the church at Corinth he takes time to give what he terms a humorous analogy as to his prayer, his desire, his many letters and visits to this very carnal church. Paul uses many unusual but meaningful words to describe what is going on within this church that could tear it apart from its foundation of Jesus Christ.
II Corinthians 11:2 Paul indicated that he has a godly jealousy (watchful, guarding, demanding
exclusive loyalty) over the church ( the bride) at Corinth.
· Exodus 20:4-5 God warns against idolatry and promises retribution for doing so.
· Deuteronomy 29:15-20 God warns his people and those who read His warning about idolatry.
· II Corinthians 11:2 Paul then talks of espousal (to give in marriage) to “one husband”.
· Revelation 19:7-8 The bride of Christ is of course His saints who are preparing for the marriage and are given fine linen garments of white for the wedding.
· Matthew 25:1-10 The parable of the ten virgins and the five (saints, part of the bride) with oil represent those who had received Christ and have been sealed with the Holy Ghost and were welcomed to the wedding.
THE BRIDES ENEMY
II Corinthians 11:3 In this verse Paul outlines his fears regarding the problems that have plagued the
church and tarnished the bride. He tells them of their enemy and how he works.
· Genesis 3:1-6 Paul reminds them of Satan’s subtlety (artful, crafty, shrewd, refined) with Eve.
· Acts 13:6-12 The subtlety of Satan and his followers has not changed for thousands of years.
· II Corinthians 11:3 Paul tells us that Satan uses beguiling (to deceive, cheat, mislead, deprive)
any and all who will listen to him in order to get us away from following the Lord.
· Matthew 13:22 Satan will use riches to deceive us and steal away the word of God from us.
· Ephesians 4:14 Satan is using false teachers and preachers to deceive many from the truth.
· Jeremiah 17:9 Our own sinful nature can turn on us because we sometimes act according to our feelings and emotions instead of depending on God's word.
· II Corinthians 11:3 Paul continues his warning and talks of being corrupted ( to break, spoil, destroy, bribe, or pervert).
· II Corinthians 2:17; 4:1-2 Paul warns of those that use God's word to deceive many people.
· Ephesians 4:22-24 Paul warns this church to “put off the old man” because of his corruptness.
· II Timothy 3:1-8 Paul tells us in these verses of several characteristics of corruption that can affect people's lives and keep them from serving God.
THE BRIDES PRIZE
II Corinthians 11:3 Paul concluded that he did not want this church to lose the simplicity of Christ.
· Matthew 11:25, 28-30 Jesus tells us that God's eternal plan is revealed to the simple.
· Luke 18:16-17 Jesus has made this clear; it is through simply trusting Him that saves us.
· I Corinthians 15:1-4 Paul is reminding the church of the simple plan of salvation by the gospel that he had preached to them and wrote to them about in his first letter to the church.