DO WE BELIEVE?
August 23, 2009
It is impossible to estimate the number of times people have used this scripture when a problem has occurred to them or someone they know. Recently, I have been challenged to really ask myself if I truly understand what this verse is saying, and if I really believe it.
AND WE KNOW...
To know is to - be sure, to be certain, to have learned, to have a clear perception- WEBSTER
This first portion of the verse is clearly telling us that we should understand what the totality of scripture tells us about Gods Word. The following are scriptures that tell of Gods Word:
* Isaiah 40:8; Matthew 24:35; I Peter 1:25 Gods Word will last forever.
* Psalm 119:103; I Peter 2:2 Gods Word is perfect food for our soul.
* II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:21 Gods Word is divinely inspired.
* Romans 1:16; Romans 10:17 Gods Word produces faith that will save a sinner from hell.
* Hebrews 4:12 Gods Word is a probing instrument that operates and dissects our very soul.
ALL THINGS WORK
TOGETHER FOR GOOD...
The word all means- totally, entire, the whole extent or quantity, every part.
Here is where 99% of us have not understood, or have chosen to ignore what God is telling us.
* Hebrews 5:14 We need to be able to discern good from evil as mature Christians.
* John 6:63 Jesus tells us not to believe in what we feel, what we see, or what we think. We are to believe entirely what He says about everything.
* John 15:5 Just as Jesus could do nothing of Himself (John 5:19) we can do nothing without Him.
* Proverbs 12:21 Here is where we start to question Gods Word and our own belief system. Does God really mean what He is saying in this verse of scripture.
* Romans 12:17-21 Perhaps Paul wrote these verses in order to tell us that what we look at as ‘evil’, God looks at it as something different.
* Genesis 50:15-20 Joseph’s brothers looked at what they had done as evil, but Joseph looked at what had happened to Him through ‘spiritual eyes’ and knew that God used it all “for good”.
TO THEM THAT LOVE GOD...
The word love here is the strongest form of love in the scriptures, it is Agape love. Gods gift of His Son to us is Agape love. The Agape love we see in this scripture has its most perfect expression in Christ Jesus.
* Galatians 5:22 The love that Christians are to have toward our Lord is manifested in the fruits of the Spirit. Notice that love in the Spirit is followed by joy and then peace.
* James 1:2-4 As James tells us that we are to count our trials as joy, he also tells us that we should “know” that these trials, if handled correctly, will help mature us and build up our faith.
* II Corinthians 7:4 Paul knew what it was to suffer ‘evil’ persecution from his enemies but counted it as joy because he knew that God was using it for good.
* Hebrews 11 These heroes of faith were faced with ‘evils’ that we know nothing about.
* Romans 8:6 God’s Word tells us that it is carnal not to be Spiritually minded or to trust God.
* Luke 10:41; Luke 21:34; Philippians 4:6 Why do we worry when God tells us not to?
* Romans 8:38; I John 3:1 Our love and trust in God is based on His love for us. He watches over us every moment of our lives as our Father and the lover of our eternal soul.