November 23, 2008
Psalms 100 - Give Thanks and Praise to God
As Christians and children of God, we ought to be grateful and thankful for many things. While we have one day each year called Thanksgiving Day, this Psalm teaches us that we should have hearts full of thanksgiving to our heavenly Father every day of the year. If Romans 8:28 is true, (and of course it is), we ought to thank God for everything that happens in our lives.
I. WHY BE THANKFUL
1. Genesis 1:1, 26-27 Let us thank God for his glorious creation of the worlds that are seen and not seen, and His creation of mankind.
2. Isaiah 26:3; II Timothy 1:12; 4:18 We should thank God for keeping and sustaining us forever regardless of our circumstances.
3. Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 5:8-9 We should all give praise and thanks to God for our Blessed Redeemer the Lord Jesus Christ.
4. Ephesians 5:22, 25; 6:1 God deserves thanks and praise for the gift of family we all cherish so much.
5. John 3:16-17; I Timothy 1:15 We ought never to stop thanking God for His unspeakable gift of eternal salvation.
6. Matthew 16: 16, 18; Acts 20:28 We certainly are thankful for Christ’s church of which we all are an important part of.
II. THANKFUL ATTITUDES
1. I Peter 5:5; James 4:6 A thankful person will have an attitude of humility. The more we say “thank you”, the more we are admitting that someone else is responsible for our success.
· Psalms 138:6 With an attitude of true humility comes respect from our heavenly Father.
· Luke 22:26; John 13:5 Jesus gave us the greatest example of true humility when He became the lowest of servants.
· I Kings 3:7 King Solomon showed an attitude of great humility in seeking understanding and wisdom from God when chosen to lead Israel.
2. Philippians 4:6 Thanksgiving will lead to an attitude of prayerfulness. With a thankful prayer life, we recognize our dependence and reliance on God for all things.
· Ephesians 6:18-19 We are admonished to be in an attitude of prayer for each other and our church leaders.
· II Chronicles 7:14 God’s people are required to be in an attitude of humility and prayer before God will forgive and heal.
· Psalms 65:2 We have this promise from God that he gives all people opportunity to be heard from heavens Master if we will just pray.
3. Psalms 97:12 Thanksgiving toward the Lord will bring an attitude of joy to our lives.
· Philippians 4:10-11; Hebrews 13:5 When we are in an attitude of joy we will also find ourselves contented with whatever state we find ourselves in.
· Philippians 2:14-18 Here Paul has an attitude of rejoicing in the Lord because of the Philippians he had won to the Lord and their joy in the Lord because of their good works toward Paul.
· John 4:35-36 The greatest joy that we can have is the joy of reaping and sowing the seeds of eternal life to those who have not yet met the Master.