STEPS TO GROW BY
November 16, 2008
I Timothy 3:1-6 This admonition by Paul lets us know that before we can take a leadership position in any form, in any ministry, we must take the necessary growth steps prior to God allowing us to be His representative.
I. By Faith Abel “Worshipped”
(Hebrews 11:4; Genesis 4:1-10)
What caused God to put Abel into the Hebrews Hall of Fame of the faithful?
1. Romans 12:1; I Peter 2:5 Abel offered up to God “acceptable offerings” considered Spiritual sacrifices.
2. Proverbs 15:8; I Samuel 15:22 Cain offered God an “unacceptable offering” and was rejected.
3. Exodus 22:29-30;Nehemiah 10:35 Abel had been taught that the firstlings, the first fruits, the first born, all belong to God. He knew that the very best we have belongs to God.
4. Psalms 29:2; Isaiah 25:1 Abel gave God the honor that is due Him in his worship.
5. Proverbs 16:19 Abel was humble in his approach to God with his offering.
6. Deuteronomy 26:16; Acts 5:29 Abel was obedient to the things of God that were taught to him by his parents.
II. By Faith Enoch “Walked”
( Hebrews 11:5; Genesis 5:22-24)
Why is Enoch listed in the Hebrews Hall of Fame of the faithful?
1. Proverbs 16:7 ; Hebrews 13:16 Enoch had a life style that was full of character that “pleased God”.
2. Romans 13:13 Enoch had an “honest walk”.
3. II Corinthians 5:7 Enoch had a “faithful walk”.
4. Galatians 5:16, 25 Enoch “walked in the Spirit”.
5. Ephesians 4:1 Enoch had a “walk that was worthy of his vocation” (his calling).
6. Ephesians 5:2 Enoch “walked in love”.
7. Ephesians 5:15 Enoch “walked circumspectly” ( carefully, methodically).
The bible clearly presents Enoch as a man that had a very close relationship with God that was built on a “faithful walk” throughout his three hundred sixty five years on earth.
III. By Faith Noah “Worked”
(Hebrews 11:7; Genesis 6:7-18)
Lastly in our study today, why is Noah in the Hebrews Hall of Fame of the faithful?
1. Daniel 4:27; Hosea 10:12 Noah was a just man, a man of righteousness (doing what is right) in an environment that was evil and full of unrighteousness.
2. Proverbs 9:10 Noah had a fearful respect for God Almighty.
3. Philippians 2:15; Colossians 1:22 Noah had a pure life style that God called “perfect” (or mature, blameless, justified). In a sinful world, Noah stood out as Godly and holy.
4. Genesis 8:20-21 Noah knew how to worship and offered “acceptable sacrifices” to God.
5. Genesis 6:9 Noah “walked” with God.
6. Genesis 6:22; 7:5 Noah was a man who was obedient to what God told him to do.
7. II Peter 2:5 Noah was a preacher who warned sinners against pending doom.