September 28, 2008
I. THE MYSTERY OF CHRIST
1. Colossians 1:21-27 The Colossian church learns of the "mystery of Christ".
2. Romans 16;25; Colossians 2:7 Christ in us helps to "stablish" (to make fast, to set) us in
3. Ephesians 1:9-11; 3:4-6 The mystery reveals to us the gathering together of His church for
the purpose of obtaining our inheritance.
4. I Timothy 3:16 The mystery of Christ reveals to us the incarnation of God's Son and that
the Gentiles would believe in Him.
II. HOW DO WE KNOW WE ARE INDWELLED?
1. John 14:21 Jesus promised us that He would come into us.
2. John 15:5 As Christ lives His life through us, we will have a desire to bring forth spiritual fruit.
3. I John 3:24 Having Christ in us gives us a strong desire to keep His commandments.
4. I John 3:16-19 Christ in us will manifest itself by our love and care for one another.
5. I John 4:13 If we are led by the Holy Spirit of God through the Word of God, we know that
Christ is in us in the person of the Holy Ghost.
III. WHY DOES CHRIST INDWELL BELIEVERS?
1. Colossians 2:9-14 Christ indwells us in order to "quicken" (to make alive, to preserve alive)
us and to give us forgiveness of sins through the "operation" of God (John 15:3; Hebrews 4:12).
2. Romans 6:11-18 To give us spiritual life in order that we have the 'equipment' to fight the
on-going battle of sin in the world (Ephesians 6:10-18).
3. I Corinthians 2:9-16 We are indwelled in order that we may be taught what things God has
for us through His holy Word. Without the indwelling Christ, we cannot discern God's Word.
IV. THE RESULTS OF THE INDWELLING CHRIST
1. Acts 4:8-12, 31 God gives us the power and boldness to be witnesses for Jesus Christ.
2. John 15:1-5 With Christ in us, we have the ability to bring forth spiritual fruit for Christ.
3. John 14:15-18; I Corinthians 1:3-4 Because Jesus sent the "Comforter" to us, He gives
us the ability not only to be comforted in our "tribulations", but gives us the power to comfort
others that need help and understanding in their trials as well.
4. I Corinthians 2:12-13; I John 2:27 Because of the indwelling Christ, we have the teacher
of all truth the leads us to an understanding of the Holy Scriptures.
5. Mathew 5:14-16 Because the "Light" of Christ is in us, our lives should show forth such a
difference from how the world lives, they will have to give God the glory for what they see in us.
6. Philippians 4:11-14 Christ in us helps us to adapt to any circumstance that we may find